Participating in the Illinois Great Apple Crunch is easy! All you need is to serve local apples in the cafeteria on Apple Crunch day, which is always the second Thursday in October. We also encourage schools to participate in educational enrichment activities on the day.
Please share your Crunch on your school’s social media pages! Add a photo of your Crunch with the hashtag #GreatAppleCrunch. Check out the hashtag on the day to see Crunches from all over the Midwest.
Here are the steps to follow in order to participate:
- Register your school in our online form.
- Contact your school district’s Food Service Director and tell them about the program. Ask them to include local apples on the menu for the second Thursday in October.
- Putting local apples on the menu should be easy for your food service staff. If there are any questions about what local farms are selling apples, ask your district Food Service Manager first to contact their regular produce supplier and tell them about the Great Apple Crunch. If that company isn’t sure where to buy local apples, please contact the Illinois Farm to School program or the Illinois Farm Bureau for more in-depth assistance.
- Hang a poster up in the cafeteria. Posters will be sent to all registered schools.
- Download the educational resources, including a pre-made script of how to introduce and run the Crunch on the day.
If you have any questions, please contact the Illinois Farm to School Network.
If you need more information before you register, please check out this informative webinar from the 2015 Illinois Great Apple Crunch.