The Illinois Great Apple Crunch is a great time to celebrate local foods and agriculture through classroom activities. Here are a number of ideas for ways to bring the Apple Crunch to life
- Lesson Plans
- Read through the Illinois Apple Ag Mag during the school day. Order your copy through Illinois Ag in the Classroom.
- Have your students dress up for the Apple Crunch – wearing a t-shirt in the color of their favorite type of apple! Your school will look like a stop light with students dressed in red, yellow and green.
- Read a book about apples during your classroom story time. Check out your local county Ag in the Classroom office to borrow a book or two.
- For younger students, do a fun craft project about apples.
- Go on a field trip to an orchard.
- Cook with apples in the classroom! Have a creative apple snack.
- Use the Great Apple Crunch day to do garden work with your students. If you don’t have a school garden, see if there is a community garden in your area where your students could volunteer.